What it is
The Encounter of Publishers in Canary Islands, a project directed to everybody that compose and take part in the assembly line of the book, from the original creation until it reaches the hands of the reader: Authors, editors, correctors, typesetter, designers, translators, distributors, printers, booksellers, publicists, librarians that's to say, professionals of the sector that join up, for the material creation of that so valued object and that it contains so knowledge: The book.
When we intended to increase the project of the fair of the Edition and Publishers Encounter in Canary Islands, started in the year 2003, and to come closer to the African literature and therefore, to his promotion through the starting of the International Salon of the African Book, SILA, we made it changed from one place to another for that curiosity that characterizes us: Knowing what it’s created further on, who they make it, and which ones are their motives to make it.
Evidently, it moves always an interest to us: The promotion of the editorial sector and for it we looked for alternative formulas of job, for example, participating and creating communication networks that propitiate the approximation. We understand, than the social, cost-reducing and cultural reality that surrounds us, is in continuous movement, and ourselves, without a doubt we are a part of her.
The networking, the interchange and communication helps to know us and to understand to us better and in consequence, to respect the different proposals. No doubt that literature is the pacific vehicle of communication of the nations, once where is his culture was reflected, his life model, their traditions, their present and future tendencies.
Historically, external influences have done of Canary Islands an opened and cosmopolitan society. The cultural elements that characterize this town result from their history. No doubt about it, mestization and the cultural diversity have marked the course of the islands. Canary Islands has received, in bigger or minor quantity, contributions of the three closer continents: Europe, Africa and America.
Our objectives guide us to give the necessary steps for the cultural proximity with Africa, using the book and the various literary manifestations like tool of job. Starting of that conviction, we aspired to:
1) Generating and promoting relations with the African writers, as well as with their publishers.
2) Working to reach agreements with institutions of both sides for the creation of cultural interchanges.
3) Making than the International Salon of the African Book, be a true platform of diffusion of the Literature and the present-day African thought.
4) Contributing to that the point of encounter for excellence of the knowledge of the African culture in the ambit of the literary creation be Canary Islands.
5) Promoting the creation of bridges that they make easy the incursion of our authors and editors in the literary African spaces.
6) Generating agreements with collaboration and diffusion with Universities and educational Institutions as well as, editorial interchanges and helps to the literary translation that they favor the dialog and the everyday job of the implicated.
And of course, keeping on in the effort of consolidating and increasing the net of encounters we come in working for years, and in this way facilitating knowledge and diffusion of the publishing and literary job of the different regions and countries that participate in the same.
We wish, that this Salon of the African Book be a bridge and platform that promotes the interchange and the cultural relations between continents, taking the opportunity to the tri-continentality that characterizes the Canarian Archipelago: Europe, Africa and America.
We acknowledge from this site the collaboration and implication of all them that one way or another, they have given us their help for the starting of this African Book Salon. To the Public and private Institutions, to the professionals and friends.
Baile del Sol